
Deep-set blue eyes, as if it holds the cloudless autumn sky within it.
Its beautiful gleam is the same as how I
remember.
But somewhere somehow, darkness loomed over
it and his penetrating blue eyes seemed like an empty eye of a doll made out
of clay.
Despite this, his eyes instantaneously sparkled
upon seeing me.
"······!”
My breath hitched.
The moment his eyes sparkled seemed to make
every notion very, very slow.
As if recognizing me immediately, his blue
eyes opened wide and were immediately filled with indescribable emotions.
And in the midst of it, a familiar madness
could also be seen.
I couldn’t bear to continue looking at it.
“Ah, aah······."
My whole body trembled. I could feel Letizia
looking anxiously at me, but words just can’t come out of my lips.
I could clearly feel the pulse on my neck
pounding. And the blood that flowed through my lips permeated inside and it
tasted fishy. At that moment, I suddenly came to my senses.
We shouldn't get caught!
And on the other hand, I also thought that
we shouldn't just run away.
I was the only person here who could sort
out the lies that the Osborne’s made.
But the moment Calix strode towards me, my
mind went blank.
I hugged Letizia and ran as hard as I
could. It was a short distance to the back door. My heart thumped with fear, I
was so scared.
I couldn't think of anything, and could
only shed tears. I was afraid to face him again.
Calix,
why are you looking for me?
It's
already been seven years······.
Could
I have misunderstood you?
‘But······ But······.’
At that time, I’m sure I saw Calix kiss Sia in the Imperial Palace’s garden. And rather than pushing her away, he
smiled at her like they were lovers.
As a result, it made me aware of my
situation, and decided to flee from the plot of the novel’s story just to escape
my tragic fate. Seven years. I couldn't bring those years back anymore, nor
could I abandon the people who have become my new family.
Clang! The back door opened. Then I rushed into the pitch-black darkness of
the night. And the voice calling for me from behind my back resonated
heartbreakingly.
“Laure!”
* * * * *
I ran with all my might. And I don't know
how far we've come. But despite my mind being in such a mess, it seemed that I
have instinctively taken the getaway route that we prepared in advance just in
case something like this happened, and we seemed to have safely escaped from Calix.
As I threw my gaze toward the main street,
I could see that the lights were still active. It means that there will still
be a carriage even if we go now.
As I headed there in a hurry, Letizia hugged my
neck tightly.
"Mom, mom are you okay?"
"Yes. Don't worry, my baby."
"The mister earlier, his name was Cal
Roch."
“······."
"How does Mister Cal know Mom's real
name?"
"······That.”
I couldn’t answer and could only moisten my
lips. And at the same moment, we had entered an alley leading to the main
street,
I had to run into a very unwelcome person.
"Oh, my. Who is this?"
Baron James Camnell.
I tightened my arms around Letty.
"Where are you going in such a hurry
at this late hour? Huh? You even brought your kid····· Oh, by any chance, are
you fleeing in the middle of the night? Did you just hit Osborne in the back of
his head? Huh?"
“······."
I frowned. The smell of alcohol grew
stronger as Baron Camnell approached. Seeing that he was not walking properly,
he seemed to have been drinking until he was irrationally drunk.
"Don't come close. If you don't want
to get hurt."
I said, showing off the ring Alice gave me.
Camnell only glanced at it and chuckled.
“What can you even do with that? Are you
going to attack me? This James Camnell? Arrogant bitch. I liked you, but you
didn’t even know how to be grateful······."
“······Haa.”
I looked at Camnell with a fed-up
expression on my face. These obnoxious guys always take the stick and wrap it
up saying, "I liked you." Even though the person concerned was scared
to the point of feeling personally threatened.
That's why I had to accept Will's helping
hand.
“If you touch me, Alice won't stay still. Then
the lord will surely be furious, are you certain you don't mind living in a
small house?"
I warned in a serious voice. But Camnell
was completely indifferent, and he just continuously came closer towards me
with a grotesque laugh.
“Conceited wench! Even though my father
really doesn't like me, did you really think that he's going to punish me
for messing with a bitch like you?"
By the moment Camnell was about to reach
his hand out to me.
Light flew from somewhere and hit him
straight on the forehead. Afterward, Camnell fell to the floor with a thud. I
stumbled back. Seeing that he was completely knocked out.
‘Who is it?’
I looked around, and a familiar voice
relieved my anxiety.
“Rose! Are you all right?”
“A, Alice!”
It was none other than Alice who fired the
light. It was a fainting spell that Camnell was hit by.
Alice said that she felt a commotion while
passing by the street and came this way.
“But I didn't expect Rose to be here. You
were also caught by this Camnell bastard·······. What the hell is going on in
the middle of the night? Why did you bring Letty out?"
“That······."
I briefly explained the situation to Alice.
She soon nodded as she understood, and asked anxiously.
"Would you really be okay like this?
Without even trying to talk with his grace? What if····· you could just have
misunderstood something."
"······I’m scared, Alice.”
I said, lowering my head.
"There's something I've been afraid of
all my life. But I couldn't tell anyone. Because I’m sure no one will believe
it."
“······."
“Seven
years have passed, but that fear still hasn't disappeared. After leaving the
capital and staying here, I gained peace, but there were times when I had
nightmares that I couldn't even remember once I woke up, and I still feel
terrified.”
“Laure·····."
"Furthermore. Now, we have to go all
of a sudden. I feel sorry for Will and Sean, who were already like a family to
me."
I sighed and lowered my head. Alice put her
hand on my shoulder and patted me gently.
“They won't be angry even if you suddenly go
and come back. They'll welcome you instead. But first, since it's so late at
night, let's find a place to stay first. It's cold."
I nodded. When I told her I was going to
Brooks, Alice held the door of the carriage, saying, ‘Let's do that.’
I was afraid Letizia would be shocked. Looking
anxiously at the child, Letty smiled as we made eye contact.
“I’m glad Aunt Alice came to help. Because
Letty can't do anything yet.”
"······Is that so.”
I felt a strange sense of incompatibility
with the child's words. Letty was innocent and childish, but sometimes she doesn't
act her age.
I guess it's because he's a smart kid, and
maybe she’s really just particularly special.
'She’s certainly not just like any
six-year-old.'
I smiled at the child, hiding my awkwardness.
Whatever the case, Letty is my daughter. But Letty's following words surprised
me even more.
"Mom. The angel in my dream, she said that
I'm going to meet my dad today."
"······What?”
I opened my eyes wide with surprise. Then
Letty continued talking.
"By the way, the angel said to be
careful, because·······."
"Rose, Letty! Hurry, get in!"
Letty's words were cut off and we could not
continue the conversation. Looking back, Alice was waving her hand beside the
carriage. It had something to be repaired for a while, and it seemed to be over
soon.
"Let's get in the carriage for now,
Letty.”
“Okay!”
Letty smiled broadly and nodded. She must
have been excited to go to the pebble beach in Brooks.
I hid my sorry expression and headed for
the carriage. We were about to get on the carriage when,
Neigh!
"Uh, uh, what's wrong with these
guys?"
The horses suddenly went wild. The horseman
panicked and grabbed the reigns tightly. However, the horses could hardly calm
down and could only continuously gave off some brays.
“Alice?”
I looked back at Alice, which has been
quiet for a while. She’s somehow standing still for no reason.
“Ali······."
It was the moment I was about to reach out
to her.
Whick!
Like a strong wind, or like a lightning
bolt, something passed by between us. No, it was a sword. An invisible blade that
can only be used by a knight who has risen to a level of a master swordsman.
And it cut the horse's throat in a blink of
an eye.
I quickly covered Letizia's eyes. Letty
complained that she was frustrated not knowing what had happened.
But I couldn't show the child the gruesome
sight in front of me. I managed to swallow a scream that was about to burst out.
Someone······.
Someone killed a horse with a sword. To
stop this carriage from leaving.
Whoever it is, I already had a hunch.
Alice inhaled loudly next to me. She caught
her stomach and gasped, looking in one direction. My eyes naturally turned
there, too.
In the darkness where the streetlights
could not reach, he walked out.
His appearance was like a messenger from
the underworld. The reaper who came to take my soul.
Dressed only in dark clothes from head to
toe, he approached our way, flashing his dead blue eyes.
“Cal······ lix······.”
His name flowed out like a groan through my
lips. Calix laughed crookedly as he looked at me. It was a horribly decadent
smile.
"You're very good at running
away."
“······."
"I didn't know you had such a knack. I
had no idea. No, is that the magician's tricks?"
He strode towards me and finally stood in
front of me.
He glanced at Letizia, whose eyes were still
covered, and looked at the horse with the severed head.
Then he took something out of his pocket
and threw it into the horse's body.
Soon, a fire flared up, and the dead horses
were swallowed up by the flames.
“······."
I was dazed by the thought that he was
considerate of Letizia.
No, if he had really thought about Letizia,
he wouldn't have cut the horse's neck in the first place.
I asked Alice to take care of Letty and
stood face to face with Calix.
My heart beat with fear, and my whole body
trembled.
I clasped my hands tightly. Trying to push
down the desire to run away.
Alice is right.
I shouldn't have tried to disappear without
even having any conversations with him, who came this far just to find me.
Besides, I had to deal with the lies made
by the Osborne’s because of me. If I don't step up, Calix will not let them go.
‘I can’t let that happen. The reason they
lied is because of me.’
Calix, who was staring at me, slowly said
after a long time.
"It's been seven years."
He looked calmer than I thought. ······No,
he was just raging quietly. Like a typhoon that was silently brewing above a
vast open sea.
His blue eyes glanced over me slowly. My body
trembled at the touch of the glare.
“Who told you to run away as you please?”
“······."
“I really thought I was going crazy. No, I
have really gone crazy.”
“······."
“Your face comes to my mind all day long,
and even in my dreams, there would be none but you. Even up to this moment, I’m
doubting if what was standing before me was not just made of my imagination. Is
what I'm looking at real? Is it really you?"
Calix reached out his hand. Trying to
confirm that I'm not just one of his fantasies. He came close, holding my
cheek.
As soon as our skin touched, I flinched for
a moment and remained silent.
Then suddenly, he called my name.
“Laure.”
“······."
"Laure, answer me."
“······Yes.”
Calix lowered his head and slowly looked at
my face intently.
His big hands weren't as warm as I
remember. It was as cool as a dry autumn leaf and as rough as sandpaper.
Mae’s Notes:
It’s just a reader’s guess but I think Sia
was a witch or a devil and Letizia were an Angel sent by Phoenix to save Laure
and Calix. What do you guys think?
That makes sense? I don't know which myth it was... It said that witches have a district odor? IDK I'm not really sure đđđ
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't laugh but this moment makes me happy even if it's highkey scary đ
ReplyDeleteYandere time.
ReplyDeleteThat good
ReplyDeleteExcept if that's the case why did that burning at the stake happen in her dream when Letizia was around?
ReplyDeleteI sus Lenny as the actual saint & that the witch is trying to kill her by disrupting her family...
ReplyDeletethis is stupid! she already knew she misunderstood him yet she keeps on being a drama queen and still refuse to listen to him. girl u gonna get yo kid in danger
ReplyDelete